Yoga For Skin
Yoga is one of the most natural ways of improving skin health. Yoga helps to stabilize hormonal changes get rid of toxins from the skin to improve glow, shine and tone of the skin.Meditation and yogic exercises for face help to tone facial muscles and skin to reduce appearance of wrinkles. Some of the Yoga asanas which will help are :
1. Halasana (Plough pose)
Steps for Pose
- Lie down on the floor with your back and place your hands by your side palms facing downwards.
- Slowly lift your legs keeping it at right angle to the floor.
- Continue lifting your legs further as you bend it backwards over your head such that your toes are touching the ground beyond your head.
- Once that you have lifted your legs as far as comfortable, now press your chin against your throat.
- To retain this posture for long, support your back with your elbows on the ground.
- Breathe normally as long as you hold this posture.
- Return to your original position and repeat again.
How It Works
Halasana is one of the restorative poses that isusually performed near the end of the practice. It is also an inversion. Thus, it has beneficial effects on the cardiovascular system and the flow of cerebral spinal fluid.
- Helps to strengthen the digestive system.
- Reduces stress, fatigue and calm brain.
- Promotes alertness and flexible spine.
Steps for Pose
- Lie down on your belly with hands by your side with palms facing upwards.
- Bend your knees to bring the heels near your buttocks.
- Now take your hands back and grasp your ankles. Rest your body weight on your abdomen.
- Now pull your ankles more with your hands. As your pull your ankles more, your upper torso automatically rises. And now your body looks like a bow.
- Keep your breathing normal.
- Strengthens the back and abdominal muscles
- Tones the leg and arm muscles
- Adds greater flexibility to the back
- Good stress and fatigue buster
- Relieves menstrual discomfort and constipation
- Helps people with renal (kidney) disorders
3. Surya Namaskar
Surya Namaskarimpacts entire organs of the body.Surya Namaskarsequence, if done at a fast pace can be a good way to lose weight and is an excellent cardiovascular workout as well – stretching and toning entire body muscles. But that’s not all. This yoga sequence improves the circulation of blood throughout the body and helps in maintaining good health by ensuring a disease-free body.
- Improves digestion: Improves digestive system by alternate stretching and compression of abdominal organs.People who suffer from constipation and dyspepsia or indigestion should practice Surya Namaskar every morning on an empty stomach.
- Keeps anxiety at bay: It helps to improve your memory and nervous system, calms you down and gets rid of anxiety. It normalizes the activity of the endocrine glands, especially the thyroid gland.
- Improves flexibility: The Poses performed in Surya Namaskar workout your entire body, making you more flexible and agile.
4. Bhastrika Pranayama
Steps for Pose
- Seated comfortably on a yoga mat inpadmasanaorvajrasana. Keep your hands on your knees. Breathe normally and feel relaxed.
- Inhale deeply through your nostrils with full force till your lungs are filled with air.
- Exhale forcefully through nostrils making a hissing sound till you have breathed out all the air emptying your lungs.
- Remember that in Bhastrika Pranayama, your abdomen should not contract or blow up. Use your chest.
- Repeat for another 10-15 times.
- Refreshes body and mind. It has a regenerating and rejuvenating influence upon the whole body and improves memory.
- Circulation is stimulated. The increased blood supply to the head improves eyesight and hearing.
Ø Avoid performing this pranayama if you are suffering from any heart disease or high blood pressure*.
Steps for Pose
- Sit on a yoga mat or a soft blanket. Breathe and straighten your spine. Relax.
- Breathe in deeply filling your lungs with enough air.
- With both the thumbs, close your ears.
- Close your eyes and using the middle fingers, press your eyes lightly.
- Press either sides of your forehead with the index fingers.
- With the remaining fingers, press the sides of the bridge of your nose.
- Exhale through your nose making a humming sound while chanting OM mentally. Inhaling will happen automatically.
- Perform this exercise either 11 or 21 times as per your comfort level.
- The mind becomes calm and peaceful. It is beneficial in mental tension and agitation,improves concentration.